Winter

>> Thursday, December 8, 2016


I smell the prickling air
expecting the billowing smog 
from the clammy pavement to rise
longingly placing one palm atop another in the mist
as sunrays pelt the buildings
creating a symphony of grimy gold

The air of previous winters were different,
brittle -
promiscuous enough for someone who rambled
to feel untrammelled and alone

I could’ve spun dark whimsical taradiddles
about old loves, their knotty faces
sneering in the grey-blue,
the fog drooping a sweet despair above

there were summers when life shaped differently,
each holding piercing shards of memory,
huge pieces of time
that disappeared completely

I stretch my arms -
silvery ghost of winter is melting in sparkling yellow,
the air is too clear for mawkishness-
occasional glimpses of a different season
race over the windblown swath,

there is a warm halo somewhere,
for the previous winters were merely an overture.

9 comments:

The Wandering Hermit December 8, 2016 at 8:05 AM  

Love it and at least one word brings a smile taradiddles.... out here i've missed the real winters just the ouset of them and then they fizzle away. Makes me nostalgic for the winters of the northern plains and all the memories that the mere thought of them conjures up

aria December 8, 2016 at 8:12 AM  

Thank you Z! How wonderful is the feeling when you get a comment on your blog!
Still feels the same :D

Will O'Wisp December 8, 2016 at 10:44 AM  

The fog drooping a sweet despair above - oh my this line is simply beautiful - - Aria - one of the best I have read

Will O'Wisp December 8, 2016 at 10:45 AM  

the fog drooping a sweet despair above - oh my this is such a beautiful line and to me sums up winter - one of the most wonderful poems I have read Aria:):)

Horus December 8, 2016 at 4:30 PM  

Hope Terminal Moraine holds promises similar to or better than the winter!!

pradeep December 9, 2016 at 4:20 AM  

loved the grimy gold, grey-blue and the sparkling yellow...as usual wonderful flow of words..write write write pour it out more often

Nidhi December 9, 2016 at 5:28 AM  

Oh! I loved the word - taradiddles. It tastes so delicious on the tongue and has a lingering effect. I am dying to use it somewhere :)

D you must write often; this is YOU. I see you in every word, nuance and intonation. The winter literally rises in front of me.

Promise me more such gems!

Anonymous December 9, 2016 at 7:49 PM  

Simply beautiful.. I'm lost in your words once again *bliss*
[I ditto Nidhi's comment - A most welcome revival]
.
.

(..post quam tamen velut Phoenix..'e cineribus splendidior resurrexit).

aria December 17, 2016 at 2:35 AM  

Will – thanks so much. Glad you liked.

Horus – thank you, I’ll certainly try.

Pradeep – Thanks for reading, glad you liked.

Nidhi – Thank you so much – Winter has been so disappointing this year that I felt like resurrecting the previous ones.. I’ll definitely post more often.

Anon – Thank you for your kind words

Latest comments

  ©

Back to TOP