alter ego

>> Sunday, June 15, 2008

We might have separated as easily
as we’d come together,
that relationship never going beyond
leaving faint impressions, and me
content to be
just another of her failures, catching glimpses of her
in other people, picking echoes and fragrance of
an aborted familiarity

the months go by,
we remain together, wondering if
a lover would somehow resolve this deadlock,
or another vocation,
psychotherapy for both of us.

whatsoever little spirit smolders on
in me is visible, only on her
it provides for us
to assault head-on
what we take to be
our demons,
I can never leave her, nor she me,
not that is until
an outright disaster makes it simply ludicrous
to go on waiting
for the miraculous conversion of
the other.

when I throw open
‘em benighted windows,
stand in the breeze
preferring to breathe
fumes from within, I know
I can outsmart her
with the aid of logic, analogy
and assorted techniques of
condescension.

I had lit her once
held her tightly within lips
and with a flick of finger
I’d thrown her out
she wavered awhile
then smoked fiercely, combusting into
an ashy cylinder

scoured by the wind
I believed all these reversals, recoveries,
all this movement of hers,
to be the evidence of a game,
a petite specter
audacious and determined
I liked that idea -
she burnt herself out
I haven’t really,
not quite yet.


pS : this is the first time, I’ve scribbled something without a single drag of her , not that I’m trying to quit or something, just that its been raining and I’m too lazy to go out …
I know she kills slowly but then as they say, who’s in hurry?

12 comments:

Alok June 15, 2008 at 7:30 AM  

I love the last two strophes esp the last one which has got very good images and lovely wordplay.


I have quit though, not that I want to live long or something like that (infact 60 is the target that I have set for myself) but then one fine day just like that :) and coincidentally I had mention of it in my post today :)


Alok

Nash June 15, 2008 at 10:43 AM  

"I know
I can outsmart her
with the aid of logic, analogy
and assorted techniques of
condescension"

Throughly enjoyed the third stanza. Esp those lines. I'm a chain smoker and have gone through this and the last two lines are brilliant, simply YOU.

aria June 16, 2008 at 2:15 AM  

Alok.. Just read your post and I'm smiling :) Nice to note you've started posting regularly .. there aren't many I read and vice versa ergo I'd been missing your poetry. and thanks a heap for your words here ..

Nash.. et tu? thats cool :) thanks for your comment, nice to have at least a couple of them regularly :D

Casperbaba June 16, 2008 at 2:40 AM  

aahhh.. the romantix!! :p of the "magic stick". wel.. i know ur delima.. i share it too... but sometimes you really dun need the magic to come up with those thoughts that live within u.

awesome! ur back! :)

impersonator June 16, 2008 at 7:42 AM  

you know what...this poem is fantabulous. Is that a word? I don't know...but the best of the very best writing...I read...oh yes...for sure one amongst the best.

goatman June 16, 2008 at 2:55 PM  

I hope that you do not mind that I am copying some of your poetry. I love how you related self to colors before. I see aura colors as possibly relating to peoples' attitudes . . . wonder if dogs do? No, I don't mean really "see" auras although I would like to, but "see" how it might be possible given the proper frequency-detection ability and sensitivity.

But I guess that is what poetry is.

Javits June 17, 2008 at 12:13 AM  

perfection in smoking eh? or was it love in the time of smoking! Relished it! Wonderful work!

aria June 17, 2008 at 5:04 AM  

Casper.. I'm not surprised that you share it.. we know we are the other's reflection :) and you are right.. one doesn't need 'magic' all the time. Thank you :)

Impersonator.. you are too kind.. thanks a lot :)

Goatman.. I don't mind! I am honored. I so love that talk about about aura and the rest.. not that I know much.. but thats coz I keep hearing it whole day from my father and find it really sweet :) Thank you kindly for your words..

Javits.. thanks for dropping by .. nice new name there .. :)

Nash June 18, 2008 at 3:25 PM  

I hope you are seriously considering my request for the story :-)

aria June 19, 2008 at 1:06 AM  

Certainly :) thanks for asking .. I haven't written one since ages.. so I'll need some time :D

Dohatzz June 20, 2008 at 6:27 AM  

and why did you not call it
" matter of fact "

"picking echoes and fragrance of
an aborted familiarity" ---- melike



and


" I know
I can outsmart her
with the aid of logic, analogy
and assorted techniques of
condescension.
"


the last verse is pure mercy for the human soul ...EXQUISITE !!

aria June 20, 2008 at 12:53 PM  

Dohatzz.. first of all welcome aboard and thanks for all your comments on different posts.. truly appreciated . I don't really know how to respond . . perhaps would only like to articulate that - nothing in my blog or writing changes due to responses... I don't get many in either case.. :D ergo all them are valued however they don't dictate what I write or want to write.. its my personal domain.. I just blabber here and give them fancy words.. names.. or so I think..
I'm glad you found them worth your time ..
hope to see you here again .. :)

Latest comments

  ©

Back to TOP