Random Re-encounters

>> Thursday, July 19, 2007

By Punds orders, I’m posting another tag of 8 random things about me. It perhaps is a shortened version of 20 random things tag, which was making rounds, long ago. I’d called it Pandora's box then, but since then I’ve mellowed down miraculously. I need not warn anyone as there isn’t anything evil or sinful in these ‘facts’ which I sometimes wonder were fiction.

1) I was a darn naughty kid and kept my mother perpetually on her toes. Till class 4th or 5th I’d to be dragged for school and was famous even there for my notoriety. I could thrash any girl or boys double my size. Ma was summoned regularly by my teachers and principals to discuss a list of complaints. As my parents worked in different locations and that part of life were spent with Ma, we saw Pa only during vacations, poor mother could only convey my misdemeanors to him over the telephone or in letters wherein she consistently referred to me as a "problem child." Its funny that things that appeared so serious then, are now amusing, for both of us.

2) The best part about going to school was running away. I can write a book on ‘how to run away from school’. The best memories are from where I’d passed senior secondary.
On one such adventure, four of us, (three other girls, besides yours truly) had planned to watch a movie at Connaught place (strategically located, close by). We discovered that one gate was unattended, apparently, the gatekeeper was taking a pee break (or tea break). Our mantra was walk casually, confidently to avoid getting noticed. As soon as we stepped out, we heard someone hollering "hey hey hey .." we turned back and saw the watchman sprinting in our direction. He couldn’t have caught me even in his dreams, I was a pretty fast runner. I fled along with another girl. However, the two slow runners were caught and presented to the principal. Despite persistent interrogation, they refused to reveal the names of other miscreants (that’s called comradeship).

3) The then fast runner now needs painkillers to walk. I’ve screwed my health to that extent, which continues to fail. Probably, I’m still capable of keeping people on their toes with my mind-games. At least that is what my ex used to say. I’ve vowed not to mention him again ergo I’ll quote ‘somebody’ who had commented. "I fuck his brains out". In a way, its quite nice coz I'll rather fuck some brains than anything else .. as I’m sure I’ve turned frigid.

4) I refurnished my room, last month. I disposed my double bed and got a new single bed. I’m confident of sleeping alone(without a human company, of course) all my life so its one positive step, in that direction. The only problem is, Don(my German Shepherd) considers my bed as his own. He occupies a huge corner and I’ve to squeeze myself in another. Sometimes I find him sleeping soundly with his head on my pillow, and then I just sit on a chair, facing him and keep on looking, blissfully. I’m bewitched.

5) I’ve two pimples on my right cheek & another one on my forehead. I never had pimples as teenager and was so proud of my blemish-free skin. I tried almost everything and nothing worked. A couple of days back, I landed in a Shahnaz Husain store and hurray.. when I returned home I realized, I’d spent almost 10 thousand bucks for three pimples! Man she is expensive .. and for three pimples she makes you buy three hundred different stuff ..

6) I tried doing many things but I’ve this bad habit of abandoning them, halfway. I learned .. Kathak – 2 years, Guitar – 2 years, German – 1 year, French – 8 months, Persian – 6 months and it is all wiped away immaculately from my memory. It would be redundant to say, I can’t differentiate between Kathak and Kathakali, Hawaiian from Spanish (leave aside playing a single chord), German, French and Persian all sound, Greek. I regret not pursuing them, seriously as I’m too old to start it all over again and then I’ve this uncanny feeling I wont live long, the priority now is just one book that I hope to get published. At least one .. that’s my solitary dream.

8) My solitude is complete. I got rid of my so-called friends, well-wishers and this and that. I don't go anywhere and my cell phone seldom rings. To achieve this, I'd to get my seven year old number changed, which was divulged to no one. I don't wish to talk to any of them & I'm convinced the feeling is mutual. Its better this way and I’m enjoying my wonderful privacy. I hate bumping onto former acquaintances and greeting them all with the same lie "you haven’t changed" when both parties know the truth at least once for a ‘change.’ I like spending my evenings, with booze, shades down, dim lights and ghazals, all by myself. I’m in love with the voice of Munni Begum. Though anything and everything can make me cry, she is the best company for tears.


There was no need to write these Eight random things. One word describes me perfectly – "loser’ :D

The tag requires to be passed but no one cares for my effing tags. This would be the first time, I’m not tagging anyone.. I completed it sooner than the previous tags (if that's some consolation) ..I hope I’m forgiven.

26 comments:

Full2 Faltu July 20, 2007 at 1:27 AM  

Aria

You were right. I understand this! :)

I never had the courage to bunk school. Even while bunking college, I would feel guilty until they threw me out. (that would make a two series post)

10K for beauty stuff. You could have got a new stereo. That may keep you more happy.

Even my phone does not ring except that if someone wants some help from me. Its a good thing as I can keep my phone bills to a minimum

-Punds

parikrama July 20, 2007 at 2:16 AM  

:(

aria July 20, 2007 at 2:41 AM  

Punds .. Thank god! I'm delighted, you understood. I was an expert in bunking classes in college too. Even that would make 2 series post :D Yes, you are right my phone bill is astoundingly miniscule, likewise.. and stereo .. you are right again :( Thanks for your comment.

IW .. aww.. kya hua ?? You know.. I can't see you like that.. so me too :(

parikrama July 20, 2007 at 2:56 AM  

That sad face was mostly coz of article Nbr 4. on your list, viz. dismantling the double bed and replacing it by single bed *sobs audibly*

AakASH!!! July 20, 2007 at 3:51 AM  

So many languages!!! I wish i did too.

But we all lead separate lives, all divided by the thin line of existence, between reality and figment.

Hai na?

aria July 20, 2007 at 10:02 PM  

IW .. hehe.. the single bed can be dismantled too and can be replaced by a brand new glistening double-bed.. if .. need I say more? ;)
samajhdaar ko ishaara kaafi hota hai na & I can't say THAT on a public blog :(

Aakash .. I should have concentrated on a single language and learned it properly. :) you are right about reality and imagination.. sometimes the things I imagine (mostly the weird ones) come true so its all a hodgepodge. Thank you for your comment :)

Prmod Bafna July 21, 2007 at 5:27 AM  

Wow! some astounding facts about you that i never did know!! I quite relate with you on the school menace and the whole guitar and language learning bits.. i'd take up a new sport every year in school, get all decked up with the accesories n stuff and then never played it more than a month or two!! :P Surprsingly my dad never gave up and kept buying me my new sport goods year after year!!

The Hermit of Wandering Thoughts July 21, 2007 at 7:40 AM  

Ah I have the same problem with me dogs both of them think nothing of slipping in to my bed at nights.. and worst is in the winters when you suddenly feel a cold nose pressed against your legs in the night.. makes you sit up and peer around in a wild surmise--- it does... with weird ideas of dead bodies with cruel oriental knives of wicked design or that Godfather scene with the horses head.

CP was the place for me too when I cut school I still have fond memories of sitting in potpourri having their bottomless coffee for Rs 13.. I could do that anyday now but somehow the charm is gone..

Yes to get published & climbing Nanda Devi are the only worthwhile things I look forward to see to completion ere I cease to be too...

Alone, violin, breakfast table and a pretty empty room....running on empty .. waiting for the Axe to fall sums it up pretty well..
cheers
z

vi July 21, 2007 at 7:50 PM  

Flower
Hon, first time before I had to think about what to write in the comment for your post I didn't want to sound patronizing...

Your blog was so touching and I could identify with some of it. All I will say is you are one of a kind, and a very special person and an excellent writer, you are anything but a loser. ..
So take care of your health and give a break to munni begam (Yes I love ghazals too ) and try some peppy songs I can send you my peppy wala playlist :)

vi

asuph July 23, 2007 at 1:50 AM  

aria,

this is one of the most melancholic random things tag post that i've come across. actually it's not, but the last one really paints the whole canvas blue. nope, you're not loser. not if you can write like that. no.

take care,
asph

cheti July 23, 2007 at 9:14 AM  

"Despite persistent interrogation, they refused to reveal the names of other miscreants"

When did this happens ? Around the time of "Scent of a Woman" ?

Aria, that was a candid melancholic one again !

Equivocationalist July 23, 2007 at 4:33 PM  

Aria, i have to concur with the former comments - you are far from a loser. Your writing is without equal, outside those widely published and celebrated authors. If you write a book, i will be first in line for a signed copy :). As to not tagging others because people don't follow them: granted, i am guilty of this, but only because i could not think of more than one other 'thinking blog' worthy of ranking next to yours.

when i show your blog to others, it is with respect and, truly, awe, at the erudite description you are capable of.

granted, such a literary gift does not compensate for other absences in life, but it is a noble votive, and i hope is as much a source of pride to you as it should, by rights, be.

Inconsequential July 24, 2007 at 3:09 AM  

:)

You write good poems though.

In this virtual world...I like you :)

The friends and phone thing?
I only have one friend, never wanted more. And work phones me, I don't phone them...I nearly lost my number through lack of use. :)


Such talents...
:)

aria July 24, 2007 at 5:11 AM  

Prmod.. ohh yeah.. I still have my dancing bells, guitar and all the rest. Even my dad accompanied me in the dingy lanes of old Delhi to help me pick a decent guitar. Nice of you to share those little anecdotes. Thank you.

Zofo .. I never knew about your dogs. I wish you’d write about them. I love dogs. Thank you for sharing your experiences. It brought back, some memories. I wanted to tag you but never saw you doing tags .. so did not ..

Vi .. what do I say :) thanks a lot. Always means a lot, you know.

Asuph .. Thank you :) I guess I’ve lost the humor punch. I intended to write something ‘light’ but lost track, halfway.

Cheti .. don’t exactly remember the movie we were supposed to watch. Is there any connection between those lines and that movie? I saw it long back, and I’m not exactly a movie buff. Thanks for your comment. I seriously didn’t want to sound melancholic. *sigh

Equivocationalist .. I’m overwhelmed with gratitude. You are way too kind. :) I read your comment at least, 2-3 times.

Inconsequential .. Always glad to see you here esp when you aren’t updating your stuff as regularly. Thank you kindly.. for your words. :)

The Hermit of Wandering Thoughts July 24, 2007 at 11:47 PM  

Oh I did do a tag once..many moons ago. http://apillcalledlife.blogspot.com/2006/02/we-hates-them-forever.html

I have 2 dogs one is a big lab and the other is a lhasa apso...small little thing she is and I call her KISHMISH..

yeah but I hate doing tags somehow.
cheers
z

aria July 25, 2007 at 8:12 AM  

Zofo.. Great to know about your dogs. Kishmish is a sweet name, I can picture her by that. :D
And the tag .. it seems, I'd read it coz I can see my own comment on the post.
@ yeah but I hate doing tags somehow.
Good then.. that I did not tag you. :)

Priyamvada_K July 25, 2007 at 2:07 PM  

Flower,
I don't know what to say. Don't call yourself a loser. You write beautifully, and are a special person.

Priya.

aria July 27, 2007 at 5:30 AM  

Thanks Priya. :) Nice to see you on my blog, after a long time.

The Individualist August 18, 2007 at 5:18 AM  

You are over-melancholy.

Nikks!!!!! August 22, 2007 at 11:45 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nikks!!!!! August 22, 2007 at 11:54 PM  

Spellbound!!!! luks like u've put ur heart out..... though the escapades of the school days r childhood fantacies but very few 've da guts to write abt their lives.... Though i dnt knw u bt i cn feel hw u r,ur lyfstyle.... bt dats the sign of a bohemian... gr8..it left me pondering....

Nikks!!!!! August 23, 2007 at 12:16 AM  

and 1 thing more.... u 've been my inspiration.. as i've startd blogging.... though i read a couple of gud literature but none facinated me like you had .... ur touching and novel thoughts are rejuvenating for comfortably numb souls like me.... your implicit thoughts and the choice of words are an epitome of perfection for me.... and ya on the celphn issue... i too sumtimes feel like changing my number and seclude from the trivial things and people.....

aria August 23, 2007 at 4:41 AM  

Nikks .. welcome to my humble blog.. I'm so touched by your comment. Its a pleasure knowing that my whimsical writings were of some use .. Thank you kindly for your gracious words. I hope to see you here again .. :) Do keep visting ..

Nikks!!!!! August 23, 2007 at 10:48 PM  

@aria
Whimsical.... they may be whimsical to you but for others they are a necessity.
To write away your woes is the best thing you can do to yourself... it mitigates the seething innerself....... and is a votive cause.... a panacea for those unriped souls who lurch aimlessly in this world.....
.... and u cnt deny the ecstactic feeling u get from such a cause.... :)

aria August 24, 2007 at 1:30 AM  

Thank you profusely Nikks :) Besides that .. those were wonderful words, you wrote.

Stone September 10, 2007 at 1:43 PM  

Connaught place (strategically located, close by).
Sets me thinking!
Was it ...Modern School/ CJM/ Khrist Raja/ Lady Irwin/ N P Bengali Girls/ R M Arya Girls???

Just plain curious!!

Latest comments

  ©

Back to TOP