A Garish Bustle

>> Thursday, May 31, 2007

i)

The world stands strongly exposed
casting its appropriate shadow
A year again in magical transition
and it does not even register.
Here before me, drenched in sunlight
Is a summer melancholy
Some quality in this season liberates
As everything is clear and visible
yet nothing seems withheld.

When a distant brown-stone spire
Seems melting in fluid yellow
That bygone summer wakes up again
like a person coming out of trance
I lose myself in vague memories
from trip to eternity made years ago
now debased to pale phantasmagoria
of bleary peaks and dreamy skies.

ii)

By dissolving sentimental partnership
seldom do both associates withdraw
you stood for the venture on which
I had irretrievably staked my all
When you made room for yourself
inhabited the space you’d cleared
it was natural for you to believe
I had refurnished in same manner.

In my wasteland is delicate harvest
A planned hedonism of wine and wit
I’ve planted some trees and blossoms
filled those shallow inlets along the shores
Decorated edges with fringe & tassels
but fatigue of the desert remains -
No loud music can dispel it
And no garishness can erase it.

iii)

I’ve loved you now for many years
with that tranquil tenderness
which gathers depth and volume
when it covers route to denial.
In the lucidity of retrospection
every trifle has copious meaning
You’ll not cross my path ever again
this certitude is an added pang.

There is nothing on earth
that keeps its promise
But from every uncertainty
to meet your eyes
is still my refuge.


I buried autumn
its famous meanings
So here is this long hot summer
heavy and teeming
more real than life
And there was that other summer,
pure as gold
as real as hope.

Pour comprendre il faut aimer

PS - I wont exactly call it a poem. I scribbled it.. about a month back. Had nothing else to post .. so this is just to prove that I'm back! :)

23 comments:

vi May 31, 2007 at 3:59 PM  

Yeeh! You are back (High 5!).
If this is scibbling then I don't know what poetic expression is :)

As usual read it more then once ;)

Worth the wait.

vi

aria May 31, 2007 at 11:44 PM  

Thanks a lot .. Vi :D
I'd scribbled in my journal .. intending to edit/rewrite later .. but then I did not feel like touching it .. coz I'd lost 'that' mood and I think.. I like keeping my stuff raw! :D
Posted it (mainly) for you .. glad I did not disappoint.

Nadim May 31, 2007 at 11:59 PM  

Welcome back! :)

people talk about spring bringing freshness into life but most of the times its in summer that good things happen! summers have this distinct character of changing lives! dont you think they do?

your words sound surprisingly familiar!

Full2 Faltu June 1, 2007 at 12:50 AM  

Its alive! Its Alive!

I was talking about the blog, not about you! :)

It felt like those Hollywood Alien movies!

Long time no see?

The commenting was easy! Now to get back to the difficult part of understanding it! :)

-Punds

aria June 1, 2007 at 1:35 AM  

Thanks Nadim :) Yes I do think so about summers. At the same time I find summers too bare and exposed .. to be faced.
I know what you mean @ my words sounding familiar!

Thanks Punds for checking on me :) Despite the difficult part of understanding. Hehe .. Yes it's alive for the time-being!
I just read some of your posts .. It's nice to be back.

Equivocationalist June 1, 2007 at 6:03 AM  

my dear, as always, you humble me.
"to understand is to love" - how true.

aria June 1, 2007 at 9:42 AM  

Thank you equivocationalist.
It seems I spelled that last line correctly or you wouldn't have translated it so beautifully! :D

Anum June 1, 2007 at 1:33 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Merryweather June 1, 2007 at 1:35 PM  

One word came to my mind as I read it: Seasonal =D

...And after reading the comments, it really touched my heart to know what the last line meant: "to understand is to love" wow!

And amid it all... "A garish bustle"... makes me wonder... =)

p.s: Nice to have you back!

vi June 1, 2007 at 5:46 PM  

:D @ mainly for me...ok now keep it coming!

vi

Inconsequential June 2, 2007 at 12:47 PM  

good.

liked.

more?

aria June 2, 2007 at 9:52 PM  

Merryweather thank you :) Guess after your longish break .. it was my turn.. though not for an identical reason :D

Vi .. sigh I'll try @ keep it coming.

Inconsequential .. hello! Great to see you here. Welcome :) Glad you liked. More.. definitely. When I'm in the posting mood I try updating once a week or two. Its a terrible frequency :( the question is.. will you stick around till then.. :D

AakASH!!! June 4, 2007 at 12:10 AM  

:)

Loved the way the first one drew pictures only to dissolve it in the waves of nostlagia.

The second one for its transactional metaphor and then the simile of the wasteland.

And the third for everything it is, 'I buried autumn, its famous meanings'.

The last line, needless to say is the coup de'grace.

And did i say, welcome back? :-)

AakASH!!! June 4, 2007 at 12:13 AM  

Read it again, Magnificent!

aria June 4, 2007 at 9:32 AM  

Thanks Aakash. That was wonderfully analyzed. :)

AakASH!!! June 4, 2007 at 8:59 PM  

Always a pleasure madamoiselle.

The Hermit of Wandering Thoughts June 6, 2007 at 1:43 PM  

In my wasteland is delicate harvest
A planned hedonism of wine and wit

sums up my life to a T...

very nice
cheers
z

asuph June 6, 2007 at 7:47 PM  

aria!

you've left me speechless (and that's a good thing, I tell you). let's not get into nomenclature/classification. keep them coming. this is almost perfect. i don't even want to find problems, because, frankly, this is beyond me. you're in league of your own.

i'll just go and savor it once again, and again...

-asuph.

parikrama June 7, 2007 at 9:22 PM  

I read this when you had posted it afresh (when the comment count was zero), and came back again n again with the hope of registering my thoughts on this offering of yours. I guess I will have to just let it pass. Will just repeat what asuph said, you are in a league of your own.

aria June 8, 2007 at 4:08 AM  

Aakash :)

Zofo .. thanks!

Asuph .. Thank you! I don't know what else to say - as coming from you .. it means a lot.

IW .. Thanks :D That left me speechless too!

asuph June 9, 2007 at 4:47 AM  

iw: i thought you'll pick up on the "warm water" serving husband bit. but looks like you've decided not to be predictable ;-)

cheers,
asuph

cheti June 20, 2007 at 1:53 PM  

And you call this a scribble ! THe authority with which you start this scribble itself is stunning !

The world stands strongly exposed ...

sigh !!

Alok August 19, 2007 at 8:42 AM  

everyone has already said wht I want to say ....

same feelings, if this is scribbling, i wld give my right hand to write like this ...

one of ur best!!

alok

PS: btw read ur reply on "Waterspout" - well its my misfortune tht I didnt find u earlier .... I m just trying to make up for the lost time

and btw I hope u dont mind my random selection of ur post :)

Latest comments

  ©

Back to TOP